Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Quinoa and Flaxseed Scones



This morning when I was experimenting in my kitchen I wanted to make quick and healthy bread. I looked in my kitchen cabinets and found quinoa flour and flaxseed. I decided to make scones. It´s fast, and to my family scones is something we eat on Sundays and holidays. It´s really easy to make and anyone can do it but it has kind of a festive feeling about it. The possible variations you can make are only limited by your imagination. You can easily choose other kinds of flour, add raisins/cheese/bacon/honey/herbs or anything you like. I choose milk as liquid but water, yoghurt or even beer is great too. I will post other variations later on.

Flaxseed is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids. Using flaxseed in your bread is a great way to increase your daily fiber.

Quinoa is also full of fiber and contains all eight essential amino acids. I like using quinoa flour for the sweet, nutty flavor.

This is the scones I made today (for the first time).

 

Quinoa and Flaxseed Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour

½ cup diced almonds

½ cup quinoa flour

½ cup flaxseed

½ tbsp. baking powder

½tbs salt

Mix with a fork in a big bowl.

Add 1 cup canola oil and 1½ cup milk, stir until mixed. Don't over stir! When using baking powder you shouldn´t mix/stir/work with the dough any more than barely mixing the ingredients. Don´t work it one second longer than necessary! (That´s a good rule to remember when using baking powder.)

The dough is very sticky, it´s supposed to be like that. If you add more flour the bread will be dry. Divide the dough in two pieces and place them on parchment paper. Use your hands and warm water (otherwise the dough will stick to your hands) to form the two pieces into round, flat breads.

Use a knife and made a cross on each bread, to make them easier to cut later.




Bake them at 440 degreese Fahrenheit for about 20 min (until golden).

Enjoy warm with butter, cheese, turkey, ham, tomatoes, avocados or jam. Tea and coffee are excellent choices to go with your scones.

If you try them please let me know. I would love to hear about it!

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! this looks delicious and healthy.Definitely organic flaxseed bread is low in carbs, making it a good choice to have in bread when you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete