Monday, January 14, 2013

Muesli Rolls



Muesli Rolls

Today my plan was to share a recipe of sweet fudge cookies, that my grandmother in Sweden taught me to bake when I was a little girl. I started to take out all the ingredients and when there was only flour left…there was no white flour in my cabinets! The look on my face must have been a funny one, my 5months old daughter started to laugh out loud.

Well, well..since I had many other kinds of flour I decided to bake something else instead. Funny how that works out, when I for once decide to do something a little less healthy the Universe steps in and say it's clear NO.

I opened all my cabinets to see what I  have in there and what ingredients that possibly would be a good match. My "whitest" flour was a spelt flour, that's a given choice. I love spelt bread. I didn't feel like baking my regular spelt bread though. My eyes lands on my jar of muesli that I have on my greek yoghurt in the mornings. I finally decide to make a bread with whole wheat flour, spelt flour and muesli. I often add muesli in my recipes. I never have the same muesli (I always mix the favorite grains/dried fruit I have for the moment), which gives the bread some variety. 

This is the bread I made tonight.






Muesli Rolls

Mix with a fork in a big bowl:
1,5 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Muesli (your choice)
1 cup Spelt Flour
1,5 oz dry yeast
a pinch of salt

Heat up 2 cups of milk. Heat until just before the first bubble. Add 1/3 cup maple syrup and 2/3 cup olive oil. Pour over the dry ingredients that you mixed. Stir with a wooden spoon, slowly until mixed. Add 1,5 cup spelt flour and knead by hand for 3mins. I prefer to not use a machine when I bake with Spelt Flour. Spelt Flour have a fragile kind of gluten, if you knead it too hard, too long, the elasticity in the dough will be effected. If you knead it too little your bread will be hard/heavy. This dough is extremely smooth and a pleasure to work with.

Let you dough rest under cover for 30min.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Turn the pieces into big rolls and place them on parchment paper. Let them rest there under cover for another 30min.

Bake your Muesli Rolls 12min in the middle of the oven at 430 degrees Fahrenheit.

Feel free to freeze the rolls your not planning on eating today. They are good in the freezer for 3months.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment